KBHB BIG 81
LISTEN LIVE
-
KBHB ON DEMAND
facebook

News Article

The First Presbyterian Church was built in 1887 in Sturgis.
Courtesy Photo
The First Presbyterian Church was built in 1887 in Sturgis.
Story of stained glass windows topic of Scoop of History
News Staff - April 4, 2018

STURGIS, SD - Sturgis was a frontier town in 1886 when the Rev. J. Logan Sample, a Home Missionary representing the Home Mission Board, arrived driving a 'team of blacks' to organize the First Presbyterian Church of Sturgis.

The story of the stained-glass windows in the church is the featured program during the annual spring Scoop of History presentation, Sunday, April 8, 2018, organized by the Sturgis & Meade County Historical Society.

The First Presbyterian Church was built and dedicated January 23, 1887.  Since then, the house of worship has undergone several makeovers from its original structure – the first in 1908, then in 1915 and finally, in 1967.

The Scoop of History program will begin in the sanctuary with a presentation followed by a self-guided tour of the 15 windows.  An information booklet about the widows will be available during the tour and can also be purchased for $5.00 each.

The program gets underway at 2:00pm.  Refreshments will be served.

For more information on the Scoop of History series and the Sturgis and Meade County Historical Society, see them on Facebook and at www.sturgishistory.org



kbhbradio.com
Phone number: 605-347-4455
E-mail: info@kbhbradio.com
Address: 1612 Junction Avenue, Suite #1
Sturgis, SD 57785
  BIG 81 ON FACEBOOK
  WEATHER
  MARKET NEWS