STURGIS, S.D. – Authorities say an underground gas line was struck during road construction Monday morning, leading to a fire alarm activation at Black Hawk Elementary.
The Meade County Sheriff’s Office says the elementary school, which was near the site, activated a fire alarm because of the overwhelming odor of gas, which they thought may have been in the building.
When the alarms sounded, multiple units responded from the Meade County Sheriff’s Office, Black Hawk Volunteer Fire Department and the Meade County Emergency Management.
After a thorough evaluation, the students were allowed back into the building.
The gas leak was capped/shut off by emergency crews.